Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (about 1 medium)
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 4 8-inch flour or corn tortillas
- 4 slices American-style Colby cheese
- Kosher salt (or regular salt)
- Cook the sweet potato according to your preference. Either in an Instant Pot, or baked, or prick holes in it and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes until tender, turning halfway through. Set aside and allow sweet potatoes to cool down.
- Roughly chop the spinach. Warm the olive oil in a skillet and add the spinach, garlic powder, cumin, and a pinch of kosher salt (or regular salt). Cook for 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted and bright green. Set aside in a bowl.
- To assemble the tortilla, cut the sweet potato in half and slide off the skin: place the flesh into a bowl and mash it with a fork. Spread 1/4 cup of the mashed sweet potato onto one tortilla.
- Drain and rinse the beans, then top the sweet potato with 1/4 cup of the black beans. Season with salt. Sprinkle the cooked spinach on top making sure you leave any liquid at the bottom of the bowl.
- Top with 2 slices of cheese, tearing it as necessary to fit onto the tortilla. Cover with the second tortilla. Repeat instructions for the second quesadilla.
- Lightly coat a skillet with olive oil and heat it to medium heat. Place one quesadilla in the pan, cheese side down. Cook for 2 minutes per side until lightly browned and the cheese is melted. Cut into wedges and serve.
Images and full recipe source: A couple cooks