- 1/4 cup Israeli couscous or quinoa
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/4 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 cup halved or quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 firm ripe avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas and cranberries
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Half clove of garlic, peeled
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add couscous/quinoa, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a fine-mesh sieve and rinse with cold water. Drain well.
- Spread arugula on a serving platter. Add the couscous, corn, tomatoes, avocado, pepitas and currants in decorative lines over the arugula.
- Combine basil, lemon juice, garlic and oil in a mini food processor or blender; pulse until smooth. Top the salad with the dressing just before serving.
A Note from Em
This salad provides many nutritional benefits by the colourful vegetables and a variety of textures from wholegrains and seeds. The dressing is healthy also and light. Enjoy this as a main meal by adding some protein to it like poached chicken, poached salmon, tofu or even feta or haloumi cheese.