Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 3-4 skinless chicken breast or thighs with skin
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil or avocado oil. Use more oil for thicker chicken breasts.
- 1 tsp cumin (extra for plating)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 small shallot, peeled and quartered or sliced thin
- pinch of paprika
- Parsley and crushed red pepper flakes to garnish
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Optional extra pinch of sea salt/pepper to taste once plated
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Clean and wash chicken. Drain the chickpeas and rinse thoroughly. Place both in a large bowl.
- Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour marinade over the chicken and chickpeas. Let it marinate in fridge for 20 minutes, covered.
- Next place your honey cumin marinated chicken and chickpeas in a baking dish or sheet pan. Leaving the marinade in the bowl.
- Place the sliced shallots around the chicken and chickpeas.
- Drizzle the extra marinade on top of the whole pan, coating evenly.
- Sprinkle with paprika and a pinch more salt and pepper if desired.
- Add a few slices of lemon on and around the chicken, chickpeas, and shallots.
- Roast/Bake 200C for 25 minutes to 30 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts. Broil at the last minute to get the honey to caramelise with the chicken/chickpeas.
- Remove from oven and slice chicken into thiner strips. Feel free to taste and add more cumin and garlic powder on top, if desired.
- Place all in a large serving bowl or plate individually. Spoon the cumin marinade/oil on top of the chicken (to your liking) once platted.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes, pomegranate seeds, and fresh parsley.
Image and full recipe source: bit.ly/ccchickenbowls