Prep time: 5 mins
Total time: 10 hrs
For the hummus -
- 1 cup of dried chickpeas or 2 cans of chickpeas
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- ¾ cup olive oil, plus more for topping
- Paprika and freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the roasted garlic -
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place chickpeas and 1 teaspoon baking soda in a large bowl and cover with water and leave to soak overnight. If using canned chickpeas this step can be skipped.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Strain chickpeas and place in a large pot.
- Add in the remaining teaspoon of baking soda and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat, then simmer until tender and falling apart.
- For the roast garlic begin by cutting the top off of the head of garlic.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap in foil and place in a shallow dish.
- Roast for 40 minutes until golden and soft.
- Let cool then remove garlic cloves.
- Drain chickpeas and place in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add garlic, lemon juice, tahini, cumin, salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper and blend until smooth.
- With the food processor running, slowly stream in olive oil until hummus is at the desired consistency.
- Spoon hummus into a bowl and top with olive oil, paprika, and parsley.
Image and full recipe source: Delish